2008 – Mining In The Mid West, Perth WA
Beneficiation of minerals in general, is an integral part of the science of Mineral
Processing, and the concept that this science encompasses are in large measure
applicable to the field of iron ore beneficiation. In general the objective of
beneficiation is to remove 1) unwanted minerals or 2) particles of unsuitable size or
structure. Compared to the other extractive processes, it is relatively inexpensive.
The future for Direct Shipping Ores (DSO) is limited and companies will be forced
into processing lower grade ores and using beneficiation to produce shippable
This paper reviews:
- Different techniques used for iron ore beneficiation and provides some case
studies in this industry.
- Mineral Liberation Analysis (MLA) to describe the nature and occurrence of
the iron minerals and the liberation size.
- The application of High Pressure Grinding Rolls (HPGR) to save energy and
- Centrifugal concentrators for recovery at fine sizes not possible with
conventional gravity machines.
- The field of magnetic separation has resulted in new machines with higher
- The application of reverse flotation to remove silica from concentrates